Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Monday, February 24, 2014

Sculpting my first mini baby out of polymer clay



Boo boo baby with burned head
I was so pleased with the way my first sculpt looked, and then I baked her.  She still looked good, for my first time, but I noticed her nostrils had closed during baking. I decided to try to poke them open, and the wee nose fell off.  I had to build the nose up again, and rebake, and when I did ,the head color changed to orange instead of the lovely strawberries and cream of the limbs.
Crocheted outfit for tiny 3 inch baby doll
I crocheted this tiny outfit for her, and she's cute, but she could have been so much better had I not messed about with her nose.  Lesson learned; I shall not mess about with tiny baked noses again, lol.

Her little hands and feet were so hard to do; I had to use a magnifying glass to see them.
First sculpt with hair
 When I first started reborning, my first reborn was so ugly I named him Frankie, short for Frankenstein's baby.  I rooted Frankie with Mac's (my standard poodle) hair, so wanted to give my first sculpt Mac's hair as well. I tried but the glue looked too messy so I pulled it off.  Her head's too tiny to think about rooting.
First polymer clay baby with needle felted bunny
 The little needle felted bunny is 4 inches long, and the littlepolymer doll is 3 inches long.  Her body and hat were made from the baby finger of a loofah glove.
Bunny doesn't want to share the teacup
I'm having fun learning how to sculpt, but it's very frustrating as well.  I'm working on a little elf child today.  I am planning to do it on a wire armature, with polymer clay head, feet, and hands. I have the head and feet done and was almost finished the hands when I ruined them by putting them on the armature.  I'll have to try again later.  I plan to needle felt a body around the wire, then crochet an elf outfit for him/her.



No comments:

Post a Comment